i don't think anyone knows exactly what you're asking man. good topic, but what are you asking?
OK 9-12th or 10th-12th number wise.
Why is there no number on official number on varsity athletes? Yeah we talk numbers but how about yes varsity athletes, and what is considered varsity only?
I guess this is a reflection on programs at individual schools.
Your enrollment may of dropped but that don't mean your player per sport has.
i don't think anyone knows exactly what you're asking man. good topic, but what are you asking?
[img]http://softball.hnrc.tufts.edu/league/teams/psychology/images/emanski_mcgriff.jpg[/img]
division classification system for football
i can promise appy and burton are D1 but both should probably be D negative 4 [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I THINK that that starting this year the numbers are for 9th - 12th grade in the past that has not been the case and I have no clue why the VHSL would rely for so long on a modlel that only counted a part of the schools number. But I have been pretty critical of the VHSL fear of change mentality I am all for minamizing change but if I am driving a car and I notice the car is overheating I dont wait until I have a cracked head before I try to get it fixed
Some senior highs in Ohio were 10-12, I always assumed that was the case in the splits here, at least as far as some of the larger schools were concerned.
We use numbers for everything. But there is no numbers reported for actual athletes playing in any sport. It's based on total enrollment? That is very misleading. Think about it. Some huge school that haven't had success in sports don't have the numbers out that schools half their size do.
So everything is based on total enrollment. Now honestly if that is the case, what about the total number of kids playing sports.
Just because you have 550 in a school don't mean your gonna field a huge squad.
I was just wondering other than age requirements and grades, eligibilty wise, why is there no reporting of total athletes playing a sport per year.
We talk a lot about declining enrollment. Well it's affected everyone. But most have not had a drop off, on the number of athletes, they have coming out, just was curious about why there is no reporting yearly on the numbers, playing sports, to me if you was looking at your school hurting, it would show up number wise there first.
Unless you have had a few down years and the interest is down.
But you look at the numbers. PV has declined student wise, GC even has. Yet the numbers coming out for sports are about the same.
I guess biggest thing i am getting at is if it's all about enrollment, then were missing something.
Cause PV, GC and others still dress out the same numbers. But all that anyone considers is total enrollment? Not the numbers coming out. To me that is the area that needs to be looked at. Tells a lot about your program and the interest in it. And if your program is beginning to rise or drop.
But you never see a regular number posted on any VHSL web site of athletes per sport. To me that would be an indicator of a programs strenght or lack there of. If you still decline enrollment wise but still have 50 out yearly for football, well how bad are you hurting.
May be losing some money pupil wise, but it says a lot about your program.
I guess with all the talk of school size, we still are missing a few things. I think it would be interesting to see how many programs have lost their numbers per sport squad wise.
I agree it's all about the numbers but in all honesty a school that has 200 total kids could dress out 45 to 50 kids and a school that has 600 total kids might only dress out 35 to 40...It has alot to do with the history of the school and the desire and want to of the young men and women playing the sports.
Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself.
I belong to God Now.
No way, if you have 500 kids say half are boys.
Thats 250 to choose from.
If You have 200 kids and half are boys.
You have 100 to choose from.
What a smaller schools "dresses" and puts on the field are most likely what the larger school would turn away. You may have 10 good ball players out of that hundred. You would most likely have 20 out of the 250.
Your best players wouldnt have to play both ways if your talking football, your 6 man may be the 10th man on a larger school. You can have designated pitching staffs with larger numbers. Numbers play a much larger role then most understand.
What we looked at was numbers over the last 10 yrs. And basically the number of kids coming out for sports at most schools has not changed that much.
Bath County as an example dresses out about 40-45 kids. Ok they have always dressed this number since the mid 90's.
Parry McClurer's program hit a snag and dropped for a few years, they were only dressing out about 35. Now their back to dressing out 40-45.
A lot of times it is a luxury at a big school. But at most big schools, until you get upper division AA or AAA most don't do a lot of rotation with their athletes.
Look at PV and GC. You will still see a lot of the same kids in football playing both ways. Probably at least 4-6.
What this is leading to is a way to add another punch to the consolidation effort.
Look you are not able to compete no more. Look at your numbers for your sports programs. I wasn't aware it was such a big push, but it's going on every where. And it's all about the money.
Not a thing about the kids. But if you truly look back over the last 10 yrs., most schools are still dressing out the same number of athletes in each sport.
The only decline was looking at kids who played on teams where they had subpar years. But when it changed and things picked back up they were right back to the same numbers.
So i would say before long this will be added to what you find on the VHSL web sites. There will be one location with info about sports and number of players.
But also with the VHSL and the way they change. Who even knows what year they are gonna count what grade as varsity.
Ask one person up there about the rule counts had on here. And they couldn't answer it. Said it was written by an attorney so, all they could do was advise you to ask an attorney. Now honestly every attorney if gonna have their own view of that. Depends on who's asking the question.
I just found it a bit interesting, all this talk of numbers and enrollment, and most sports programs in the last 10 yrs, are still dressing out about the same numbers they always have.
You may 4-6. play both way but look at other place, you have 9-10 playin both ways.
If numbers do not mean anything then I wonder why the majority of the time a larger school has more success. Hampton may field 50-60 kids and they would hammer every LPD team they played.
Bookmarks